Board of Directors
- Shona Crabtree. Shona has worked for several newspapers including The Press-Register of Mobile, Ala. and The Eagle Tribune in Lawrence, Mass., before becoming religion producer for The Osgood File on CBS Radio. She is a graduate of the UC Santa Barbara master’s program in religion, and has been freelancer for RNS for several years. She lives in San Francisco with her husband and their two sons.
- Phil Haslanger. Phil is the full-time pastor at Memorial UCC. He spent most of his adult life working in journalism for The Capital Times. He covered politics, education and religion, then served as city editor, editorial page editor and managing editor. In 2002, he was president of the National Conference of Editorial Writers.
- Verity Jones. Verity is the project director of the New Media Project and a Research Fellow at Christian Theological Seminary. She is the former publisher and editor of the award-wining magazine, DisciplesWorld and the past president of the Associated Church Press. Her work has also appeared in the Christian Century, Biblical Preaching Journal, and Journal for Preachers. Her work has also appeared in theChristian Century, Biblical Preaching Journal, and Journal for Preachers. Over the last eight years, she has developed something of an expertise in religion journalism and the complicated communication needs of religious organizations. She is a graduate of Yale College (B.A. ’89), and Yale Divinity School (M.Div. ’95), and an ordained clergy person with joint standing in the United Church of Christ and theChristian Church (Disciples of Christ).
- Debra L. Mason, Religion Newswriters. Mason is a former award-winning reporter who has covered, researched and written about religion in the news for nearly 30 years. She is executive director of Religion Newswriters and Director of the Center on Religion & the Professions at the University of Missouri School of Journalism. Mason earned an MSJ degree from Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism and a Ph.D. in Mass Communication at Ohio University. She also holds an MTS degree.
- Jerry is the assistant provost for public engagement at Indiana Wesleyan University. In 2007 and 2008 he participated in Roundtable meetings at the White House on compassion efforts through the Office of Faith Based and Community Initiatives. He currently serves as the director of The Green Scholars Initiative,. Jerry was recently named a Senior Fellow for both the Sagamore Institute and The Institute for Studies of Religions (Baylor), and as Associate Publisher for Christian Scholar’s Review.
- Amy White, Lehigh University. Amy is a communications specialist with Lehigh University’s Baker Institute for Entrepreneurship, Creativity and Innovation. She manages communications for the Institute and its affiliated programs, including LehighSiliconValley, the Technical Entrepreneurship master’s, the International Undergraduate Workshop and the Integrated Product Development program. Amy coordinates PR campaigns; manages and creates content for blogs, social media and websites; and produces press releases, articles, newsletters, brochures and other promotional material. Before coming to Lehigh, Amy managed communications, programming and outreach for the Center on Religion & the Professions at the University of Missouri. She was a print journalist for 12 years, reporting on diverse topics for several California newspapers.
Religion News Service
- Kevin Eckstrom, editor-in-chief
- David E. Anderson, senior editor
- Adelle M. Banks, production editor and national correspondent
- David Gibson, national reporter
- David Herrera, web developer
- Lauren Markoe, national correspondent
- Sally Morrow, photo/multimedia editor
- Sarah Pulliam Bailey, national correspondent
Find a full list of staff, correspondents and bloggers at religionnews.com
- Tiffany McCallen, national community manager
- Tracy Simmons, editor/local community manager, Spokane, Wash.
- Amanda Greene, editor/local community manager, Wilmington, N.C.
- Kellie Kotraba, editor/local community manager, Columbia, Mo.
- David Yonke, editor/local community manager, Toledo, Ohio
- Ann Marie Somma, editor/local community manager, Hartford, Conn.
- Debra Mason, executive director
- Yonat Shimron, development director
- Amy Schiska, administrative assistant
- David Herrera, web administrator
- Wendy Gustofson, marketing director
- Ron Ribiat, administrative assistant
- David Gibson, editor. Gibson is a veteran religion writer who has worked chiefly for daily newspapers. He has won the Templeton Religion Reporter of the Year Award, which is given to the nation’s top writer on the religion beat. He is a member of the board of the Religion Newswriters Association. He has also produced television documentaries, most recently a CNN program on early Christianity.
- Mary Gladstone, assistant editor. Gladstone is a freelance writer and editor with more than 20 years’ experience as a journalist. Mary’s newspaper career includes The Dallas Morning News, where she was an assistant metro editor, and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, where she served on the city and copy desks.